English Language Assessment
What is the English Language Assessment service?
English is the official language of the United Kingdom. The ability to speak English to a competent level is essential to ensure successful integration and progression in the UK. The English Language Assessment service is available to individuals who need to demonstrate their English language proficiency
(Tier 1 and Tier 2) as
set out by the Home Office.
There are three ways that you can score points for English language:
- be a national of a majority English speaking country (a country where most people speak English)
- pass an English language test on the Home Office list of approved English language tests
- hold a degree that is assessed by UK NARIC as being taught solely in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelor degree.
How can we help you?
UK NARIC’s English Language Assessment provides an assessment and a statement:
- to confirm whether an individual’s approved English language test meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1)
- to confirm whether your degree has been taught solely in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1).
Example of an
English Language Assessment.
Please note that UK NARIC is only able to assess against CEFR level C1 and the English Language Assessment will not provide information on CEFR levels that are lower or higher. UK NARIC will not be able to assess any tests, which are not included on the Home Office list of approved English language tests
or provide an English language assessment of overseas degrees which are comparable to UK Master's and research degrees. Degrees must have been taught in English, with the sole exception of foreign language modules.
How to apply
It is possible for you to apply online or by post.
If you complete our online application form, you will also be able to submit scanned versions of your documents to us by email.
We require the following information from you in order to process your application:
- a covering letter or email with your contact details and clearly stating the purpose of your enquiry (e.g. Home Office immigration route)
- evidence of the medium of instruction of your study from a central
administration unit / registry OR a photocopy or scanned version of your English test certificate(s)
Example of a Medium of Instruction letter
- a photocopy or scanned version of your English test certificate(s) OR evidence of the medium of instruction of your study
- a photocopy or scanned version of your certificate(s) together with final transcript(s) in the original language
- a photocopy or scanned version of your final certificate and course transcripts
- a photocopy or scanned version of a certified translation in English (if necessary)
for the service (see details below)
- there is no need to send us a self-addressed envelope; a postage option is provided within the check-out process.
All documentation should be sent to us by email, post or fax. If you have completed our online application form, please include a copy of this form (either electronically or a printed version) with your documents.
An email address for applicants to submit scanned documents is available upon completion of the online application form.
Please send your postal applications to:
Or by fax to:
+44 (0)871 330 7005
Please note that UK NARIC evaluation statements will be delivered to applicants by post.
How long does it take & how much does it cost?
The turnaround time for the English Language Assessment is 15 working days from the date of receipt of all required documentation and payment. Please note that this timeframe does not include delivery time and cannot be guaranteed. In some cases, such as those requiring additional research, the process
may take longer and the applicant will be informed.
The cost of the service is
£46.00 + VAT* (£55.20)
If you are applying from an address outside of the EU, you are not required to pay VAT.
To find out more about the payment options that are available please visit the
section of our site.
*VAT is payable within the EU