English Language Assessment
What is the English Language Assessment service?
English is the official language of the United Kingdom. The ability to speak English to a competent level is essential to ensure successful integration and progression in the UK. The English Language Assessment service is available to individuals who need to demonstrate their English language proficiency (Tier 1 and Tier 2) as set out by the Home Office.
There are three ways that you can score points for English language:
- be a national of a majority English speaking country (a country where most people speak English)
- pass an English language test on the Home Office list of approved English language tests
- hold a degree that is assessed by UK NARIC as being taught solely in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelor degree.
How can we help you?
UK NARIC’s English Language Assessment provides an assessment and a statement:
- to confirm whether an individual’s approved English language test meets the required level of English language proficiency
(CEFR level C1)
- to confirm whether your degree has been taught solely in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR
Example of an English Language Assessment.
Please note that UK NARIC is only able to assess against CEFR level C1 and the
English Language Assessment will not provide information on CEFR levels that are
lower or higher. UK NARIC will not be able to assess any tests, which are not
included on the Home Office list of approved English language tests or provide
an English language assessment of overseas degrees which are comparable to UK
Master's and research degrees. Degrees must have been taught in English, with the sole exception of foreign language modules.
How to apply
We require the following information from you in order to process your application:
- a covering letter with your contact details and stating the purpose of your enquiry
- a photocopy of your English test certificate(s) OR evidence of the medium of instruction of your study
- a photocopy of your certificate(s) together with final transcript(s) in the original language
- a photocopy of your final certificate and course transcripts
- a photocopy of a certified translation in English (if necessary)
- payment for the service (see details below)
- there is no need to send us a self-addressed envelope; a postage option is provided within the check-out process.
All documentation should be sent to us by post or fax. If you have completed our
online application form, please include a copy of this form with your documents.
Please send your application by post to:
Or by fax to:
+44 (0)871 330 7005
UK NARIC is unable to accept documentation sent by e-mail.
How long does it take & how much does it cost?
The turnaround time for the English Language Assessment is 15 working days from
the date of receipt of all required documentation and payment. Please note that
this timeframe does not include delivery time and cannot be guaranteed. In some
cases, such as those requiring additional research, the process may take longer
and the applicant will be informed.
The cost of the service is £46.00 + VAT* (£55.20) per application.
If you are applying from an address outside of the EU, you are not required to pay VAT.
To find out more about the payment options that are available please visit the
payment options section of our site.
*VAT is payable within the EU