Early Years in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Early Years in Scotland

In Scotland, the Scottish Social Services Council is responsible for registering people employed in the day-care of children, including the following jobs:

  • Managers and lead practitioners of a day-care of children service
  • Practitioners in a day-care of children service
  • Support workers in a day-care of children service

If you plan to work in these roles in Scotland, you must register with the Scottish Social Services Council within six months of beginning employment.

Early Years in Wales

The Care Inspectorate Wales regulates and inspects childcare in Wales, in accordance with the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare. Social Care Wales publishes a List of required qualifications to work within the early years and childcare sector in Wales and is responsible for the standard of the childcare workforce, including the following jobs:

  • Assistant nursery practitioners
  • Nursery practitioners
  • Advanced nursery practitioners
  • Deputy nursery managers
  • Nursery managers

You can see the list of required qualifications online [PDF].

Early Years in Northern Ireland

The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) has published minimum standards for childminding and day-care for children under age 12. This covers the following jobs:

  • Leaders and emerging leaders in both full day-care and sessional care
  • Room supervisors/team leaders and staff who could deputise for the leader working under the supervision of the manager
  • Full day-care early years' service childcare assistant
  • Other childcare staff and staff working in school-aged childcare services

Further information is available online [PDF].

Prove the level of your qualifications

If employers in Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland would like to see evidence of the level of your qualifications, a UK NARIC Statement of Comparability can help with this.