Early Years Service
Special Purpose Statements

Christmas Closure
Our office will be closed for Christmas from 24 December 2020 until 4 January 2021.
New Early Years Service applications must be submitted to UK NARIC before 31 December 2020. UK NARIC will not accept new Early Years Service applications submitted after this date.

This service is only for people without Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)* looking to work in pre-primary (Early Years) education in England.

You should not apply for this service if your qualification documents do not confirm that your course focussed on early years provision (pre-primary). In England, this means working with children from 0-5 years old.

For information on working in pre-primary education in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, see ‘Working in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland’ below.

If you need to evidence the level of your overseas qualification(s) but do not wish to work in Early Years education, you may need a Statement of Comparability.

*Holders of QTS do not need to use this service. All holders of QTS can work in Early Years settings and should present evidence of QTS to potential employers. Qualified teachers from some countries can achieve QTS because of their professional status in their country of origin. Registered teachers from EU and EEA Member States, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA may be eligible for QTS without further training. If you do not yet have QTS but think you might be eligible to obtain it, click here for further information on how to apply for QTS.

We confirm if you are qualified to work as a Level 2 Childcare Worker or Level 3 Early Years Educator in England by comparing the content of your overseas qualification(s) to official Department for Education (DfE) criteria.

The Level (2 or 3) determines the kind of jobs you can do.

You must decide if you would like your qualification to be compared to (or ‘mapped against’) the Level 2 or Level 3 criteria.

Level 2 Childcare Worker (Early Years Practitioner)

This service includes:

Level 3 Early Years Educator

This service includes:

  • a comparison and ‘mapping’ of your qualification against the DfE Level 3 Early Years Educator criteria
  • a comparison of your overseas secondary school qualification (to help demonstrate that you meet DfE literacy and numeracy requirements)

View an example of an Early Years Service evaluation statement for Level 3 Early Years Educators online.

Click here to apply online for the Early Years service.

We will need photographs or scans of:

  • the final certificate and transcripts** (or Diploma Supplement) for your Early Years qualification
  • official evidence of the age range covered by your Early Years qualification (see an example here)***
  • course content details of your Early Years qualification. Course content information must be relevant to your year(s) of study. For example, if you studied in 2002-2003 then you must provide course or module content details from 2002-2003. (see an example here****)
  • certified translations of your Early Years qualification documents, if not in English
  • If you are applying for Level 3: For your school qualifications, a copy or scan of your final certificate; also, a copy or scan of your final transcript in the original language.

For more information on certified translations and these documents, see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When you apply, you are required to declare whether or not you have 'EU rights'. This relates to the EU Directive on the mutual recognition of professional qualifications. Use this flowchart to determine if you have ‘EU rights’. If you are still not sure, you can consult an immigration lawyer or adviser. Our guidance on next steps, which sets out options available to you so that you can demonstrate competence in any criteria not covered by your qualification(s), will vary depending on whether or not you have EU rights

Once we have received all of the necessary documents and payment, we will complete your assessment within 20 working days. If we need to conduct additional research, this may take longer. We will let you know if this is the case.

**Modules which have not been passed or do not appear on your transcripts/Diploma Supplement will not be mapped.

***We cannot accept letters or documents that make unsupported statements about age range. Evidence must confirm the age range covered by the content of your course. To view some examples of accepted letters please click here.

****Reproduced with the express consent of the copyright holder, training.gov.au (TGA).

The price for the Early Years service is £229.00 + VAT*.

*VAT is only payable in the UK and EU.

Please swipe on the table below to see all contents

The Scottish Social Services Council is responsible for registering people employed in the day care of children, including the following jobs:

  • managers and lead practitioners of a day care of children service
  • practitioners in a day care of children service
  • support workers in a day care of children service.

If you plan to work in one of these roles in Scotland, you must register with the Scottish Social Services Council within six months of beginning employment.


The Care Inspectorate Wales regulates and inspects childcare in Wales, in accordance with the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare.

Social Care Wales publishes a list of qualifications required to work in the early years and childcare sector in Wales. Social Care Wales is responsible for the standard of the childcare workforce, including the following jobs:

  • Advanced nursery practitioners
  • Nursery practitioners
  • Assistant nursery practitioners
  • Nursery managers and deputy nursery managers
Northern Ireland

The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) has published minimum standards for childminding and day care for children under the age of 12. This includes the following jobs:

  • Leaders and emerging leaders in full day and sessional care
  • Room supervisors, team leaders and staff who could deputise for the leader working under the supervision of the manager
  • Childcare assistant
  • Other childcare staff and staff working in school-aged childcare services

For more information, click here.

If your UK NARIC Early Years service assessment shows that your qualifications do not fully meet the requirements for practice in England, then you might have to complete specific qualification units or a period of adaptation to meet these requirements. If this period is successfully completed and the Department for Education (DfE) confirms this, then you can practise your profession in England.

On your Early Years Service report you will be given next steps guidance, based on the specific outcome of your assessment.

The final decision on rights, including who is qualified and who is not qualified to practise, rests with the DfE.

Information for applicants, employers and supervisors

Please see the specific units for Level 2 and Level 3.

This period of adaptation guidance document provides detailed information on how periods of adaptation should be conducted, and what happens next.

Information about mutual recognition rights can be found at http://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/services/free-movement-professionals.

The Centre for Professional Qualifications (CPQ) provides essential information for qualified professionals to aid mobility throughout the EU: http://cpq.naric.org.uk.

Questions about periods of adaptation should be directed to the DfE via www.education.gov.uk/contactus/dfe or EarlyYearsOverseas.Qualifications@education.gov.uk.